11 July 2005

snickers on pluto

i did my first hike yesterday! started a short tram ride from my house, climbed up a bazillion stairs to the top of uetliberg, then started down a path called "Planetenweg": the solar system at a 1:1,000,000,000 scale.

first, the sun, followed by mercury just a short distance away. looking at the second picture, you can see the sun in the back left and the stone marking mercury in the foreground. mercury was about the size of a bb. although i passed venus, earth/moon, mars, and ceres (what?) pretty quickly, i knew it would be a while before i got to the end so i decided that i'd take a break and eat my snickers bar when i got to pluto. well, despite the lessons imparted to me by dr. ω about the unexpected scale of things, my poor snickers bar got increasingly warmer in my pocket as it took me -- walking at a brisk pace on an easy path and stopping only to snap pictures of the planet markers -- a full HOUR AND A HALF to get pluto! yow!

of course, it was all gorgeous and i loved every minute of it.

heeding my lesson from the night before, i ate a nutritious dinner (including multivitamin) and slept a solid 15.5 hours! whew, i'm back to normal!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, a "bazillion"? your google precision astounds.

15.5 hours of sleep ... that adds up to, what, 31 farts at 2 an hour?

Anonymous said...

uh oh, suissebee is already slowing down her rate of posts...

suissebee said...

only because i'm just working these days. i don't want to bore you with details of my work life!

Anonymous said...

this blog is getting WAY out of date.

Anonymous said...

I think the 2 farts/hour is a conservative estimate. More likely, the rate is increasing with time. But that's a good thing, if you practice the black art of Pahng Goo magic...
Separately, I think the whole solar system-in-the-park is a VERY cool concept.