08 July 2005

smells like europe

i miss you guys already!

i stopped in london on my way over, which was fitting because it was my spring london visit (+ lunch with g) that got me started on this whole zurich thing. i was watching the news with a huge crowd of people when they announced that london would be hosting the 2012 olympics. cheers and applause all around! i cried a little. everyone was so happy... and today it's so sad.

i got into zurich and found my apartment all right, even though i was a dork and got euros instead of swiss francs before leaving. (too tired!) good thing the taxi driver didn't mind, with a generous exchange rate. the apartment is all blue and green and turquoise, with a hint of that artificial fruity smell that reminds me of europe -- something in their soaps and detergents. i'm not sure i'm going to like this living alone thing. what if there are silverfish???

i unpacked just the essentials. (can you spot the two familiar friends on my bed?) where are my boxes? i need my hangers. the shipping people busted me for trying to send vitamins and a swiss army knife. oops! the fact that my boxes aren't here yet makes me feel justified in bringing so much in my luggage. too bad the "north face" bag couldn't make it to europe before dying. that was worth it just for the laughs.

i had an hour of daylight left so i walked around randomly / got lost a little. passed some tourist destinations without realizing it. my ears are starting to recognize swiss german. i hope i can pick some up in addition to german german. at night, i discovered that my shower is either made for a giant or is only meant for handheld use. it really could be either. on my first day at work, i confirmed that it is indeed an office (mostly) full of tall white men! from all over europe, and they all speak way more languages than i do! i love it. one of the snack rooms is all chocolate; not a snack room like in mv, but i think i'll live.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you!!

Anonymous said...

How the hell can an office full of people speak more languages than you? Is there at least somebody to sign with?

Anonymous said...

bet they don't know semaphore.

Anonymous said...

We miss you already!

Anonymous said...

I left the first comment, and now I am ready to reveal myself as ... gumbee. So keep up the blogging and I'll send you some pics of the "North Face" bag.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to introduce you to the "shift" key, an incredible innovation in keyboards enabling bloggers to use capitalised letters. You can find one on both the bottom-left and bottom-right of your computer.

Anonymous said...

Allow me to introduce you to American spelling, in which the letter Z is located next to the left shift key and the Queen's English is for nerds.

Anonymous said...

My spelling honours the bee's European heritage. Which of course is none.

Anonymous said...

What is sb? soo-bak? Seoul brother? sexy boy? Please help.

suissebee said...

i enjoy your sb speculation. but how can i tell you my secrets if you don't reveal your identity??

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you were able to send emails to your friends like normal human beings do, you wouldn't need this webpage and therefore would know the identity of who is speculating on your goings-on. Also, the secret abbreviations (e.g. hpb) are getting to be too exclusive because not all of us know your inside jokes.

Anonymous said...

I think anonymous's identity is pretty obvious.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on gumb, you would have no idea if I hadn't mentioned soo-bak to you!

Anonymous said...

GRACIE!! nice bedspread, by the way! glad you made it. this blog is such a great idea! you crack me up. oh, this is guemmy, btw.

Anonymous said...

Um, you've never taken a shower that way before? Hilarious. Also, when you say "hands-free" I'm hoping you actually use your hands to scrub? Also, I like the suggestion from Anonymous... how about a dictionary of insider nicknames and secret initials? Btw, I think Gorilla would be a fun code word.